<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 05, 2004

Time for a ZZZZZ…

I’ve been kind of out of the loop lately, and I want to fire off an entry quickly before I need to take another nap. I was diagnosed with mono last week, and even thinking makes me tired. You’d think that I’d be writing like a fiend, that I would have accomplished so much, but what with the whole needing to sleep so often, it hasn’t happened quite like that.

Mono is officially no fun, although it does have a few perks. Initially my appetite was non-existent, so I was pretty psyched about losing all kinds of weight while I was sick. Sadly, it’s returned, and since I can’t really exercise too much or my spleen will explode, I’m going to turn into a killer whale. You get to sleep as much as you want whenever you want without feeling guilty about it. I’m sleeping about ten hours a night and I have two two hour naps a day. If it weren’t for the laziness thing, I’d be loving it. There is, however, something decidedly depressing about going to sleep before the one year old baby, waking up after him, and napping more than he does.

When I am awake I’m tired, and therefore don’t have a lot of energy to put into the things I’d love to be doing if I weren’t sick and listless. I’d write so much, I’d paint the kitchen, I’d exercise like a fiend, I’d go hiking, I’d make mosaics, I’d single-handedly find a cure for world hunger! Of course if I weren’t sick and listless I’d be at work and wouldn't be able to do any of those things anyway, so really, anything I accomplish while here is a bonus. Gotta love cognitive dissonance.

They don’t want me at work right now, and I don’t really want to be there. When I need a nap, I NEED a nap, and there’s no where comfy there to do it. I wonder if they’d shell out for an employee hammock? One problem is that I doubt like hell that I’ll be getting paid for the time I’m taking off. I don’t know if I get sick days or not, and I also don’t know how long I’ll be out, but if I’m not getting paid for being away I have a feeling that I’ll just need to load up on caffeine and suck it up. Puffy spleen be damned, I’ve got expenses.

So, instead of writing, hiking, painting, or mosaicing (new word!) I am reading Joy Fielding novels, watching CSI on DVD and sweating. How hot is that? This fun little virus could stick around as long as six to eight weeks, although I’ve heard stories of people who’ve had it for only two, if it does last as long as average then I will be sick for the rest of the summer. Huh. It also means that I’m not allowed to kiss anyone, or engage in any sort of, um, private extra-curricular activities. Did I mention before that I’m dating someone? He came over last week when I was all-feverish to bring me some ice cream (Moosetracks, soooooo good) and nothing else. Nothing but hugs and hearty handshakes for the rest of the summer, I’m afraid.

That’s what's happening over here. Not very exciting, I’ll grant you, but I thought I should explain why I’ve been gone. I’ll try to write more now that I’ve got a bit more energy. Perhaps I could go into length about the puffiness of my glands, or about how I’ve found new lymph nodes. Did you know that you have them on the back of your head? It’s true! And when they puff up they hurt and give you a headache.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise